Key aspects of the user experience and human factor:
The Castle Lite Coldlock Pack is an innovative packaging design repurposing a thermal-dynamic material to transport, store and deliver cold experiences to customers.
A need to deliver a new cold experience to customers was identified in user-research, as customers struggled to keep their beer cold when transporting, storing and drinking the product. This user-need was transformed successfully into an opportunity for Castle Lite to reclaim their ‘Extra Cold Innovator’ title through launching a smart packaging design, called the Coldlock Pack.
- A need to deliver a new cold experience to customers was identified in user-research
- Customers struggled to keep their beer cold when transporting, storing and drinking the product.
- Cold beer from the fridge arrives at occasion luke warm
- Once at the occasion, Ice is not always readily available, and neither are icebuckets.
- Melting ice in the car came up as another frustration for consumers during research
The pressing question amongst the team, was how can an existing and well known pack format, be redesigned to perform a new function that could solve 1 if not all of the above problems for consumers?
- This user-need was transformed into an opportunity for Castle Lite to reclaim their ‘Extra Cold Innovator’ title through launching a smart packaging design, called the Coldlock Pack. The Coldlock Pack resembles a refrigerator in both function and appearance, as the box can retain cold 3 hours longer than a standard pack.
- This function was made possible through the innovative use of a thermal dynamic, light-weight material called Litho Lamination. This material acted as an insulator to extend the ice-cold drinking experience.
- In our trial runs, consumers were excited about the unexpected surprise of a cold touch 3 hours after purchase.
- Additionally, the multi-pack has a space-efficient holding capacity, horizontally storing 16 cans of 500ml beer through the use of an inner-cardboard structure. The structure ensures zero space wastage, allowing for the multi-pack to smartly fit into a residential fridge, and for individual beers to be removed from the pack.
- The design can also be transformed into a beer ice-box, ensuring maximum cold results without the need for constant refrigeration.
- The user journey no longer involved the need for ice, or ice buckets.
- Consumers were pleased to not have to spend extra on ice. This meant that the Coldlock pack now came in with much better value than the competitor.
How was the result achieved and with what expertise, processes and techniques?
- User journey research uncovered multiple pain points with users.
- These pain points were converted into multiple ideas & solutions, using Rocketfuel’s Convergent Design Process
- Beta innovations were pressure tested and iterated
- Rocketfuel’s Innovation Scorecard process drove the design development for maximum cold performance
- The result was a combination of multiple ideas into one single pack, offering solutions to all the user’s problems
The Castle Lite Coldlock Pack can now guarantee customers with a cold experience for up to 3 hours longer than traditional beer packaging, supporting Castle lite’s brand messaging. Since the launch of this multi-functional packaging design, Castle Lite has had an increase of 12.5% in positive brand sentiment, 14% in sales, as well as 12% in sentiment around the packaging