Key aspects of the user experience and human factor:
The Castle Lite Crate Converter is a new invention that increases the performance of the 100-year-old crate
This device creates a brand new plus colder journey for bulk 660ml beer buyers.
Limited refrigeration space means consumers often leave outlets with warm beer
Robust one on one ground research with lower LSM users uncovered an opportunity for brand intervention for consumers buying bulk beer
- An innovative solution would change that from a delayed cold journey to instant cold enjoyment for users, and an extra cold currency for the brand
- Various on-sight research, product journeys and user-profiles were mapped out
- The water-proof, recyclable tray clips onto the bottom of a conventional beer crate using a reusable seal mechanism.
- The patented design takes advantage of the crate’s proprietary strength, size and holding capacity to seal water inside and keep content cold.
- This addition to the crate allows it to function as a portable ice-bucket, giving the conventional beer crate a second life and eliminating the need for refrigeration
- Using our circular design approach, this innovation upcycles existing infrastructures to create a returnable and reusable distribution item for Castle Lite.
- The Crate Converter has enabled Castle Lite to provide their customers with a familiar product, namely the beer crate, but with increased functionality to enhance the drinking experience of Castle Lite.
- The design has significantly benefitted the brand as well, giving Castle Lite a new competitive edge with an increase in sales by 11% and outlet sales by 75%.
How was the result achieved and with what expertise, processes and techniques?
- Robust generative research highlighted a strong opportunity
- Convergence thinking produced a trajectory of the potential solutions we were looking for, to start the design filtering process
- Innovation metrics were used to support ideation accuracy
- In-house prototyping, testing was critical to achieve the perfect balance in material viscosities.
- The material had to meet the target performance score that would guarantee the design’s functional success: a strength perfection in a secured lock that successfully holds 9kg weight, and an easy to use clip-on feature which would be easy enough for both a man and a woman to clip on and off multiple times (reverse metric).
- Proudly produced using ISO9000 Plastic Injection moulding manufacture